2019 Groundhog Psi-clocross Preview
November 7, 2019
Why is this race called Groundhog PSI-clocross? Well, in 1992 the downtown square of Woodstock, IL was used to film the movie Groundhog Day. Rob Curtis and the PSIMET crew have carried some parts of the movie into the venue.
- If you’re interested in looking over the filming locations for the movie there is a great map for self-guided tours here: woodstockgroundhog.org/pages/tour.html
- Remember to use #psiCX on Twitter and Instagram.
- As a reminder on SATURDAY PSIMET is hosting the Keating Law Offices Illinois State Cyclocross Championship which is NOT a CCC series event but still well worth your time to race. See that course preview here.
- Preliminary staging for Sunday will be posted here on Friday. We’re going to try and upload results from Saturday’s IL State CX Champs to CrossResults so they affect Sunday’s staging, but the turn around will be tight and so no promises.
- There is plenty of parking throughout the park. As with all previous years there is NO PARKING ON THE GRASS. This is the strictest rule the park and city have for the facility.
- This park has “always” had a “no alcohol” policy. So when you bring in cups for your soda and lemonade PSIMET asks that you pack out what you bring in. It helps PSIMET make sure the park doesn’t think we’re a drinking series with a cycling problem if there aren’t a lot of juice boxes laying around.
- Food: Dukes Blues n BBQ from East Dundee, IL is back. This isn’t your average BBQ setup – this is competition award winning BBQ that happens to also do events. dukes-blues-n-bbq.com – Dukes may not have Vegetarian and Vegan options, but there is a Vegetarian specific restaurant on the square downtown only 0.8 miles from the course.
- Speaking of food, PSIMET will have “pie primes” for the first rider in each category who gets the hole-shot.
- Equipment Pits will be single width and backwards as we will be running the course counter-clockwise. There will NOT be any water or washing facilities at the race though, so if conditions look to be getting worse then please plan your own support accordingly. There are a couple of water spigots around the park that may or may not be in service . Mambo Car Wash is right down the street.
- In order to help cut down on pit traffic – PSIMET will also be issuing Pit Passes for the time slots of the Men Cat 1/2/3 and Women 1/2 & -3/4 races. If you are planning on having a pit support person and/or bike then let them know at registration so that you can receive your pit pass. Pre-registered racers will be assigned pit positions first. This also applies to the Women 3/4 race as it is during the same time slot as the Women 1/2.
- There won’t be much if any daylight left after the last race ends, so please plan accordingly. Also if you can, please help PSIMET and the Northbrook Garner teams tear down the course so they aren’t doing it all in the dark.
- Kids Race will be hosted by Parker and Andrew Curtis and held at 2:00pm. Competitors will be asked to (have a parent or guardian) sign a waiver and will receive hot chocolate after the race. Ask at Registration for the location of the race but fill out the waiver at the kids race itself.
- As another reminder, if you are pre-riding while anyone is finishing up, please make sure you are NOT inadvertently riding in front of people still racing. Just ride slowly behind them and offer words of encouragement or ring a cowbell. Thanks!
- The course: Run anti-clockwise meaning we will be descending Heckle Hill.
Quick question: Is it possible to check in for the Sunday race at the Saturday race? I assume not, but thought I’d ask as it would be nice to get all the bib numbers at once.
I don’t think so but I’ll confirm that just to be sure.
Confirmed. No Sunday number pickup on Saturday. Sunday reg binders won’t be done until Saturday night.
Are handups allowed in a Championship Race? Asking for a friend.